World Materials Forum 2018 Start Up Challenge rules
Article 1 - Eligibility criteria
Is eligible to participate any company that fulfills the three following criteria:
- number of permanent staff below 50
- confirmed economic viability
- demonstrated breakthrough - whether technical or organizational - in one of the following topics:
- new material composition
- new product design
- Internet Of Things
- 3D manufacturing
- mobility services
- Waste management
Each applicant will be entitled to apply for one single project.
Article 2 – Requested documents for application
Participants will provide a presentation of their company in the form of a PDF document of max 5 pages including a description of their breakthrough innovation, a simplified 3 years business plan and the basic informations relative to their company structure (capital and shareholding).
Article 3 – Submission rules
Article 4 - Composition of jury
- Dr Cynthia Arnold, Former CTO Valspar - Sherwin Williams (USA)
- Christophe Cabarry, CEO Special Chem (France)
- Prof. Reinhold Dauskardt, Director Materials Science Department, Stanford University (USA)
- Myrtille Delamarche, Deputy Editor in Chief L'Usine Nouvelle (France)
- Harriet Green, CEO IBM Watson (UK)
- Prof. Vijay Gurbaxani, Director Center for Digital Transformation, UC Irvine (USA)
- Dr Karen Hanghoj, CEO EIT Raw Materials (Germany)
- Dr Vincent Lafleche, Dean Mines ParisTech (France)
- Prof. Stéphane Mangin, Institut Jean Lamour (France)
- Prof. Victoire de Margerie, Vice Chairman World Materials Forum (France) - Chairman
- Greg Mulholland, CEO Citrine Informatics (USA)
- Dr Elizabeth Rowsell, Director Johnson Matthey Technology Centres (UK)
Article 5 - Awards
12 nominees will be designated by the jury end of March and each nominated company will receive a package including a free booth at Hôtel de Ville de Nancy during the two days of World Materials Forum 2018 and free transportation, accommodation and WMF registration for the company CEO.
Among the 12 nominees, a winner will be designated by the jury during WMF in June and a 50.000 euros award will be handed out to the winning company CEO by the Jury Chairman, Victoire de Margerie.
A second company will be designated by the jury and another award of 50.000 euros will be handed out to this other company by the CEO of EIT Raw Materials, Karen Hanghoj.
The jury might decide to designate other companies for special mentions and additional awards in kind or in cash might be awarded by other jury members.
Article 6 - Nominees commitments
Nominated companies commit to have their CEO attending World Materials Forum in Nancy on June 28 and 29 thanks to the package granted and described in article 5.
Article 7 - Competition schedule
- Opening: 8 January 2018
- Deadline to apply: 23 March 2018
- Selection of 12 nominees: 20 April in Paris
- Announcement of nominees: 27 April 2018.
- Presentation of 12 nominees and announcement of Awards: 28 June 2018 during WMF Gala Dinner.
Article 8 - Information and communication
Participants and nominees allow World Materials Forum and their partners to use their names, e mail adresses, full company contact details and a non confidential presentation of their company as included in the company application, and this for the purpose of information and communication actions related to the competition, included all website publications, without any possibility to claim any right whatsoever.
Article 9 - Confidentiality
Jury members as well as WMF or partners experts and staff who will have access to files submitted within the course of the competition will commit in written to keep confidential all such informations related to projects submitted.
Article 10 - Acceptance of rules
Every participant acknowledges the reading and acceptance of all competition rules by way of participating.
Article 11 – Applicable Law
French Law will apply to all matters arising from this competition - and this includes "Loi informatique et liberté" dated 06/01/78 modified by "Loi relative à la protection des personnes physiques à l’égard des traitements de données à caractère personnel" dated 06/08/2004.