World Materials Forum 2020 Start Up Challenge rules
Article 1 - Eligibility criteria
Is eligible to participate any company that fulfills the three following criteria:
- New materials offering higher functionality (better surface aspects, no toxicity, product usage rate), lower costs, and/or fully recyclablity
- New processes whether digital (AI, IoT, sensors...) or non-digital process (3D, CO2-free electrolysis, spintronics...)
- all types of application such as
1. Fuel cell/Hydrogen,
2. EV batteries,
3.body light weighting (aeronautics, automotive),
10.recycling or reuse
Article 2 – Requested documents for application
Participants will provide a presentation of their company in the form of a PDF document of max 5 pages including a description of their breakthrough innovation, a simplified 3 years business plan and the basic informations relative to their company structure (capital and shareholding).
Article 3 – Submission rules
Article 4 - Composition of jury
- Jos Burger, CEO Ultimaker (NL)
- Christophe Cabarry, CEO Special Chem (France)
- Tadeu Carneiro, CEO Boston Metal (USA)
- Edith Coune, COO Innovation Fund (Belgium)
- Prof. Reinhold Dauskardt, Stanford University (USA)
- Prof. Bronwyn Fox, Swinburne University (Australia)
- Prof. Alexander King, Critical Materials Institute (USA)
- Prof. Stéphane Mangin, Institut Jean Lamour (France)
- Prof. Victoire de Margerie, Vice Chairman World Materials Forum (France) - Chairman
- Tony O’Neill, Group Technical Director Anglo American (UK/Australia)
- Bernard Pinatel, President Refining and Chemicals Total (France)
- Dr An Steegen, CTO Umicore (Belgium)
- Sophie Zurquiyah, CEO CGG (France)
Article 5 - Nominees
Between 12 and 18 nominees will be designated by the jury beginning of April and each nominated company will receive a package including a free booth at Hôtel de Ville de Nancy during the three days of World Materials Forum 2019 and free transportation, accommodation and WMF registration for the company CEO. The package also include the shooting of a professional one minute pitch video presenting the nominee's company and its breakthrough innovation - This video will appear of the official WMF web side for a full year
Article 6 - Awards
Among the nominees, a winner will be designated by the jury during WMF in June and the 50.000 euros Grand Prix award will be handed out to the winning company CEO by the Jury Chairman, Victoire de Margerie.
A second company will be designated by the jury and the Coup de Coeur award of 20.000 euros will be handed out to this other company by Stéphane Mangin
The jury might decide to designate other companies for special mentions and additional awards in kind or in cash might be awarded by other jury members.
Article 7 - Nominees commitments
Nominated companies commit to have their CEO attending World Materials Forum in Nancy on June 9th to 11th thanks to the package granted and described in article 5.
Article 8 - Competition schedule
- Opening: 15 November 2019
- Deadline to apply: 16 February 2020
- Selection of nominees: Jury meeting to be held in Paris during March 2020
- Announcement of nominees: to be made during the 1st week of April 2020
- Presentation of nominees and announcement of Awards: 10 June 2020 during WMF Gala Dinner
Article 9 - Information and communication
Participants and nominees allow World Materials Forum and their partners to use their names, e-mail addresses, full company contact details and a non confidential presentation of their company as included in the company application, and this for the purpose of information and communication actions related to the competition, included all website publications, without any possibility to claim any right whatsoever.
Article 10 - Confidentiality
Jury members as well as WMF or partners experts and staff who will have access to files submitted within the course of the competition will commit in written to keep confidential all such informations related to projects submitted.
Article 11 - Acceptance of rules
Every participant acknowledges the reading and acceptance of all competition rules by way of participating.
Article 12 - Applicable Law
French Law will apply to all matters arising from this competition - and this includes "Loi informatique et liberté" dated 06/01/78 modified by "Loi relative à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard des traitements de données à caractère personnel" dated 06/08/2004."