The 5th edition of World Materials Forum just ended.
Always at the forefront of innovation, value creation and sustainable development. Always with key people from the entire world bringing their knowledge, time and talent to make a better world while using our materials “Smarter, Less and Longer”.
And this year with a focus on “making it happen”, delivering more and faster thanks to enhanced collective intelligence. We have spoken with facts and figures during our “signature” sessions on Assessing Materials Criticality and Measuring Materials Efficiency. And we reviewed breakthrough technologies and business solutions for Water consumption, Recycling of electronic wastes, Portable energy storage, Autonomous vehicles and Future aircrafts.
So we would like to highlight our key achievements:
1. The confirmation that our Criticality Assessment jointly developed by BRGM, CRU, Mc Kinsey and WMF is now used as a reference for key investment decisions in the field of critical materials
2. The launch of our App "World Materials Connect" that offers a direct link between the CEOs of 13 Top Multinational Corporations and the CEOs of 90 breakthrough Start Ups all around the world
3. The realistic goalsannounced by our speakers in our various plenary sessions:
- To reduce worldwide water loss by 2/3 and associated energy costs by 50% by 2030
- To divide by 2 the time to 80% charge of new EV batteries by 2030 (from 30 to 15 mns)
- To increase by 40% energy density of new batteries at cell level by 2030 (from 700 to 1000 Wh/L)
- To collect and recycle or reuse 80% of used EV batteries and 80% of used ICTs by 2035.
Please find below the 1st part of our key takeaways - the 2nd part will be disclosed in our Newsletter n°16 together with the 1st draft of our WMF 2020 program.
Victoire de Margerie & Philippe Varin
Opening Debate: Smart Materials for Water Management